Testing for COVID-19
Testing for COVID-19 should be done only if a licensed healthcare provider determines it is necessary and based on symptoms and patient history. The healthcare provider must provide an order for a test to be conducted.
These are the priorities for COVID-19 testing:
- Hospitalized patients whose results help determine their care, including the degree of infection control
- Residents and staff of long-term care facilities, who have signs and symptoms
- Those who are at higher risk for severe infection, including the elderly and those with chronic medical conditions
- Residents and staff of correctional facilities and similar settings
- Healthcare personnel with signs and symptoms
Those who fall in these categories and have mild symptoms should contact their health care provider by phone to discuss the need for testing.